303 Colorado Street, Suite 2550
Austin, Texas 78701
Download V Card
David Claflin, J.D., is Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law and has practiced as an estate planning and probate specialist since the mid-1990s. He is a graduate of Austin College (Sherman, Texas) and the University of Houston College of Law. Early in his career, Mr. Claflin served as Special Agent in the FBI, as law clerk for a Federal District Judge, and as Assistant General Counsel for a NYSE traded company in Houston. Mr. Claflin has served as president of the local Estate Planning Counsel. He has taught estate planning and probate in the graduate business school of St. Edwards University in Austin, and also with the National Business Institute, and various local professional associations. Mr. Claflin is married to Janis Claflin, a psychotherapist and business consultant in private practice in Austin; they have a blended family of four adult children and three grandchildren.
Education & Accreditations
- Austin College (Sherman, Texas) (1963)
- University of Houston College of Law (1966)
- State Bar of Texas
- Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Professional Memberships & Designations
- Austin Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Central Texas (President, 2005)
- Financial Planning Association of Austin (Board of Directors, 2001-2004)
- e.Planners Educational Alliance, Inc. (founding Director)
- Purposeful Planning Institute
- Texas Bar Association
- College of State Bar of Texas
- “AV” rating by Martindale-Hubbell, Inc.
- Wealth Counsel, LLC (2000-2017)
- Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI (past chapter president)
- Graduate School of Management, St. Edwards University (Austin, Adjunct Faculty Member (2005)
Publications & Speeches
- Beneficiary Designations for IRAs and Qualified Plans (1998,1999,2003) The University of Texas School of Law, Continuing Legal Education, Intermediate Estate Planning, Guardianship and Elder Law Conference
- Comments on the Unauthorized Practice of Law (1998) 12th Annual Probate and Estate Planning Seminar, Travis County Bar Association
- Selected Issues in Probate (1998), National Business Institute Seminar
- What Texas Estate Planning Attorneys Should Know About Unauthorized Practice of Law, 1998 Real Estate Probate & Trust Law Reporter, Texas
- Mr. Claflin has been registered as a continuing education provider through the CFP Board of Standards, the State Board of Public Accountancy, and the Texas Department of Insurance.
Community Service & Personal Interests
- Founding board member of Austin Center for Attitudinal Healing, Inc.
- Recipient of Austin Lawyers’ Wives’ Award for Outstanding Community Service (1989)
- Member, Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church