Fort Worth Office
777 Main Street, Suite 700
Fort Worth, Texas 76102
2800 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 4100
Houston, Texas 75201
Download V Card
John R. Hunter, J.D., C.P.A., Managing Partner at The Blum Firm, received his J.D. cum laude from the University of Houston Law Center and his Master of Accounting and B.A. in Economics cum laude from Rice University. Mr. Hunter has practiced in both the private sector and the government, where he represented the Commissioner of Internal Revenue before the U.S. Tax Court. Mr. Hunter is board certified in Tax Law. He is consistently recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters (2004-2016), and Fort Worth, Texas magazine has recognized him as one of Tarrant County’s Top Attorneys in Tax Law (2006-2016). Mr. Hunter was honored as Professional of the Year for 2009 by the Community Foundation of North Texas. He currently serves as an Officer of the Fort Worth Business and Estate Council and as Chair of the Community Foundation of North Texas’ Professional Advisor Outreach Committee. When he is not working, you may find him hiking or canoeing with his sons’ Boy Scouts troop.
Education & Accreditations
- Rice University (1988)
Master of Accounting
B.A. in Economics, cum laude
- University of Houston Law Center (1992)
J.D., cum laude
- Certified Public Accountant
- State Bar of Texas
- Board Certified in Tax Law
Texas Board of Legal Specialization
Honors & Awards
- “Planning Professional of the Year” by the Community Foundation of North Texas (2009)
- “Texas Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters (2004-2016)
- Recognized by Fort Worth, Texas magazine as one of Tarrant County’s Top Attorneys in both Tax Law (2009-2016) and Probate, Estates, and Trusts (2010-2016)
Professional Memberships & Designations
- Texas State Board Public Accounting
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Fort Worth Chapter/Texas Society of CPAs
- Fort Worth Business and Estate Council
- Tarrant County Probate Bar
- Professional Advisor Outreach Committee of the Community Foundation of North Texas
- Former Senior Attorney IRS District Counsel
Publications & Speeches
- Frequent speaker
- IRS Reported Cases
- Estate of Miller v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue T.C. Memo 1998-416.
- Estate of Fleming v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue T.C. Memo 1997-484.
- Siebert v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue T.C. Memo 1997-6.
- Webb v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue T.C. Memo 1996-449.